By Robert S. Wistrich
* Nazi celebration leaders; SS, Wehrmacht and Gestapo personalities; civil provider and diplomatic personnel
* industrialists, churchmen, intellectuals, artists, entertainers and activities personalities
* resistance leaders, political dissidents, critics and sufferers of the regime
* huge biographical info on every one determine extending into the post-war period
* research in their position and importance in Nazi Germany
* an obtainable, effortless to exploit A-Z layout
* a thesaurus and complete bibliography.
By Peter L. Hahn
Collins flagship dictionary and associated word list for the Kindle containing over 200,000 entries. this can be a finished and authoritative source, providing amazing assurance of worldwide, neighborhood and dialect English.
Compatibility & Functionality
If you might have any matters with this, please touch firstname.lastname@example.org
• simple textual content seek works on all Kindle devices
• Index search for works on all Kindles other than Kindle fireplace and Kindle hearth HD
• environment as Default Dictionary works on all Kindles other than Kindle hearth, Kindle fireplace HD, Kindle for Android and any of the Kindle apps, together with Kindle for computer and Kindle for Mac
You can set this dictionary as your default Kindle dictionary and search for phrases whereas studying (check compatibility above). you have got the choice to alter your default atmosphere to this appropriate dictionary after buy, as long as your Kindle helps this functionality.
A wealthy resource of phrases for everybody who loves language. This re-creation and associated glossary contains the newest phrases to go into the English language in addition to quite a lot of biographical and encyclopaedic entries. utilization notes provide suggestion on utilizing the fitting be aware within the correct position, and hundreds of thousands of etymologies hint the roots of contemporary English. All definitions, examples, idioms, and utilization notes are according to the Collins Corpus – our unrivalled and continually up to date 4.5 billion-word database of today’s English – making it an authoritative and up to the moment reference resource mixed with the readability, ease of use, and performance of the Kindle.
• headword seek integrates with the Kindle seek performance (check compatibility above)
• all parts of the dictionary entries are displayed
• pronunciation symbols (IPA) are proven as images
• cross-references are links for speedy navigation
• associated with our such a lot accomplished English Thesaurus
• entries includes links to similar words
By Richard Allsopp
The persisted inventorying and chronicling of Caribbean tradition and historical past are very important in assisting us to acknowledge and comprehend our special Caribbean identification, and this is often an important reference publication for college students and educators within the sector and within the diaspora.
By McGraw-Hill Editorial Staff
* McGraw-Hill's annual book keeps its culture of creating details at the most up-to-date advances in technological know-how and expertise available to non-specialists via concise, well-illustrated articles
* nearly one hundred seventy articles from leaders in medical and technical disciplines from astronomy to zoology
* updated assurance in vanguard parts comparable to biotechnology, cosmology, environmental technological know-how and expertise, info expertise, molecular medication, telecommunications, and theoretical physics
* three hundred photos and colour portraits increase the text
* positive aspects a variety of cross-references to the Encyclopedia and bibliographies of key literature after each one article
* an in depth topic index makes discovering info a snap
By Michael Watkins,Bo Beolens
This attention-grabbing reference booklet delves into the origins of the vernacular and medical names of sharks, rays, skates and chimeras. each one access bargains a concise biography, revealing the hidden tales and proof in the back of every one species’ name.
Full of fascinating proof and funny titbits, the authors’ wide learn and detective paintings has made this e-book a finished resource of information on all people linked to the naming of a species. a desirable source for someone with an curiosity in sharks, from curious naturalist to expert ichthyologist, it truly is a necessary addition to the library of a person wishing to fulfill these tickling questions about the mysteries in the back of the names.
Sometimes a reputation refers to not anyone yet to a fictional personality or mythological determine. Eptatretus eos is termed after the Greek goddess of the sunrise in connection with the crimson colouring of the hagfish. The Chilean Roundray Urotrygon cimar, named after Centro de Investigación en Ciencias del Mar y Limnología in honour of its twentieth anniversary, and the Angular Angelshark Squatina Guggenheim, named after the toilet Simon Guggenheim Memorial origin, are either named after associations. The Whiteleg Skate Amblyraja taaf is simply a shorthand means of describing a toponym – Territoire des Terres australes et antarctiques françaises. There also are entries that are light-hearted comparable to the only for a woman who instructed us "that ornament of her muffins have integrated roughtail skate Bathyraja trachura, purple abalone Haliotis rufescens, and chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha."
Following the luck in their earlier Eponym Dictionaries, the authors have joined forces to offer the Elasmobranch workforce of fishes an identical therapy yet they've got additionally integrated the describers and authors of the unique descriptions of the fishes concerned, as well as these names which are, or seem to be, eponyms.
They have tracked down a few 850 names of residing in addition to lifeless humans. of those part are eponyms after those that have fish named after them and should even have defined a fish or fishes. the opposite part are ichthyologists, marine biologists and different scientists who've get involved within the description and naming of sharks, rays, skates and chimeras. for every individual pointed out there's short, pithy biography. also there are a few 50 entries for what sound like eponyms yet became out to not have any connection to an individual, corresponding to the Alexandrine Torpedo is called after the town in Egypt and never Alexander the Great.
In a few situations those are a reminder of the braveness of scientists whose devoted study in distant destinations uncovered them to disorder or even violent loss of life. The eponym guarantees that their reminiscence will live on, aided by means of reference works comparable to this hugely readable dictionary. Altogether 1,577 fishes are listed.
By Christopher M. Richardson,Ralph E. Luker
The moment variation ofHistorical Dictionary of the Civil Rights Movement is a advisor to the heritage of the African-American fight for equivalent rights within the usa. The historical past of this era is roofed in an in depth chronology, an introductory essay, and an in depth bibliography. The dictionary part has over 500 cross-referenced entries on vital personalities, major criminal situations, neighborhood struggles, forgotten heroes, and widespread girls within the circulate. This publication is a wonderful entry aspect for college kids, researchers, and an individual eager to understand extra concerning the Civil Rights Movement.
By Jacqueline Braveboy-Wagner,Clifford Griffin
TheHistorical Dictionary of United States-Caribbean family contains a chronology, an advent, appendixes, and an intensive bibliography. The dictionary part has over seven-hundred cross-referenced entries on very important personalities, politics, financial system, overseas relatives, faith, and culture.
By Sadayia Smith
By Albert Valdman,Kevin J. Rottet,Barry Jean Ancelet,Richard Guidry,Thomas A. Klingler,Amanda LaFleur,Tamara Lindner,Michael D. Picone,Dominique Ryon
The Dictionary of Louisiana French (DLF) presents the richest stock of French vocabulary in Louisiana and displays exactly the speech of the interval from 1930 to the current. This dictionary describes the present utilization of French-speaking peoples within the 5 large areas of South Louisiana: the coastal marshes, the banks of the Mississippi River, the important quarter, the north, and the western prairie. facts have been accumulated in the course of interviews from at the least 5 folks in each one of twenty-four parts in those areas. as well as the knowledge amassed from fieldwork, the dictionary includes fabric compiled from present lexical inventories, from texts released after 1930, and from archival recordings.
The new authoritative source, the DLF not just comprises the biggest variety of phrases and expressions but additionally offers the main entire info on hand for every access. Entries contain the observe within the traditional French spelling, the pronunciation (including attested variants), the a part of speech category, the English similar, and the word's use in universal words. The DLF encompasses a wealth of illustrative examples derived from fieldwork and textual assets and identity of the parish the place the access used to be gathered or the resource from which it was once compiled. An English-to-Louisiana French index allows readers to determine how specific notions will be expressed in la Louisiane.